Alanya Castle, whose ramparts are about 6.5 kilometers long, is on the peninsula 250 meter
high above the sea. The settlement on Alanya peninsula, which is also known as “Kandeleri”, not only
dates back to hellenistic era but also reflects the 13. century as a Seljukian site. The castle was built
by Seljukian Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat, who reconstructed Alanya when he conquered it in 1221. The
castle has 83 towers and 140 bastions. There are nearly 400 cisterns made for fulfilling the water
need of town which was inside the castle in medieval ages. Some of these cisterns are still in use.
This is an octagonal building inherited from Seljukians of 13. century as well as the symbol of Alanya.
It is named as Kızılkule due to its upper parts’ being made of fired red bricks because of the difficulty
of lifting stone blocks to higher parts. The tower, which was set against raids coming from the sea to
protect the port and navy yard, has been used for military purposes for centuries.
The navy yard, having five arched rooms, was constructed in such a way that it receives sunlight
almost all the time sun is up. Alanya navy yard is the first yard in of Seljukians the Mediterranean
region. There is a praying room on one side, and a guardsman room on the other side of the navy
yard. Therefore, there is a well inside of one of the rooms, which has dried up in time.
There is an armory located on a rock 10 meters high above the sea, next to the navy yard to protect
it. It is also known that is this armory, which was built in 1227 and made of dimension stones and has
a rectangular infrastructure, cannons had been produced for battleships.
It was rebuilt as a midpoint castle in Seljukian era in the place of little castle which was located on the
north the main castle and inherited from Byzantium Empire. The structure is in such a location that
has strategical advantage against land attacks and able to protect the keep, in which the sultan’s
palace was placed.
It was at first built by Seljukian Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat in 1231, however, when it fell down, it was
rebuilt by Kanuni Sultan Süleyman (The Magnificient) in the 16th century, during the Ottoman era. In
order to provide acoustic to the mosque, 15 little cubes were placed to the dome, which was working
as a hanger. This feature stands out during prayers.
It is in the castle, near Süleymaniye Mosque. It is thought to have been built as a bazaar or inn in the
time of Karamanoğulları Seigniory, in 14th or 15th century. The historical building is used as a hotel,
restaurant and cafeteria today.
They are the structures that are located on Cilvarda Cape, which is composed of steep rocks
400 meters long, on the tip of the peninsula. Although it is called as a royal mint in public, in these
with dimension stone made buildings are there not money being printed. One of the stony structures
is a little church built in the 11th century. The others were most likely to have been used as
AKŞABE SULTAN SMALL MOSQUE
It is in the castle, on the west of Bedesten, nearly 100 meters ahead of Süleymaniye Mosque.
It was built by Akşabe Sultan, who was the first commander of Alaaddin Keykubat in Alanya Castle, in
1230. It has a square infrastructure and 2 rooms. One of the rooms is a prayer room and the other
one is the tomb of Akşabe Sultan. There are 3 other tombs as well.
Both on the west and east of Alanya are there plenty of ancient sites’ remains. These are sites ATHLETES’ AND TEAM OFFICIALS’ GUIDE
Page 18 of 38
of Pamphylia’s and Cilicia’s some of which are on the coast while some other are on steep slopes. The
ruins reflect the charasterictics of the region. The ash pans carved in stones which are on display at
Alanya Archeology Museum, also reflect the burial traditions of Cilicia region. It is free to visit some
ancient sites around which archeological excavations are still being carried out and areas protected
owing to their being ruins. Those who would like to sight-see the remains around had better wear
clothes which are suitable for long walkings around rocky terrains and among tall bushes and keep
water with themselves when it is summer.
It is a historical site located on Toros Mountains, inherited from Romans, the northwest of
Alanya, 30 kilometers far. The historical backround of this site has not been clearly found out yet,
though, there are a lot of epigraphs spread around which includes important informations about
It is on the northwest of Alanya, 12 kilometers far. Strabon, geographer of his time, spoke of
the abundance of cedar trees, which were used for making ships, in the region known as Pamphylia.
It has a great view of Mediterranean.
It is on the east of Alanya, 20 kilometers far. The site’s history is thought to be dating back to
7th century BC. The entrance to the site which sustained its existence until the 13th century AD is a
still-standing monumental gate. The site is surrounded by ramparts.
Leartes is located on the feet of a slope that is next to the entrance of a plateau in Toros
Mountains, east of Alanya, 25 kilometers far. It is in the region which was known as Mountainous
Cilicia in the ancient times. Epigraphs whose 3 sections were written in phoenician language in 7th
century BC is on display at Alanya Museum.
It is on the east of Alanya, 33 kilometers far. The promontry leans over the sea is the
acropolis of the site. Where the acropolis is connected to mainland is Liman Main Road. The tiny bay
in which there are ancient port remains has a beach that you can settle for swimming.
It is an ancient site located on the hillside of a little peninsula, east of Alanya, 45 kilometers
far. Its history dates back to 6th century BC. Trajanus, the emperor of Rome, who died in the 9th of
August 117, passed away here and his ashes were sent to Rome.